Wednesday 6 January 2010

Never Trust a Man with Egg on his Face

Not a particularly relevant title, except it has the word egg in it, but has just reminded me how much I loved Dirk Wears White Sox. It's fairly obvious to me that after a pretty hectic day I'm not going to be able to get to sleep for ages so might as well add a bit more to the post below...

When I first saw the Daily Mail story about the battery cages, my first thought was disbelief, tinged with a little touch of "please don't let this be true". I didn't think it could be. I know how committed the Labour Government is on this issue, and the lead it took in pushing for an EU-wide ban. And the Secretary of State, Hilary Benn, and the Defra Minister, Jim Fitzpatrick - both vegetarians - were hardly going to be the ones to start wobbling on the issue.

I was then contacted via Twitter about it, and although I told the person who got in touch with me that I very much doubted the story was true, I said I'd check it out. Of course I wasn't at all surprised to receive categorical assurances from the Secretary of State that the Government was still 100% committed to the ban and was in fact now going the extra mile to make sure other EU countries step up to the plate too (if that's not a mixed metaphor?).

But the point is.... if the Daily Mail article was enough to sow tiny seeds of doubt in my mind, to the extent that I went and sought out the SoS, think how corrosive such stories are when people who don't know Labour's record on this issue, don't know the Ministers in question, and think that if they read it in a newspaper it's probably as least partly true. That's what we're up against, and that's why I value being able to use new media to tell people the truth behind the headlines.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Dully Maul knows that animal welfare and veggie issues are important for the election.

We Brits dislike fox hunting for example and the Tories are committed to a free vote among people who tend to be pro.

Small wonder that the tory propaganda sheets will carry articles on animal cruelty, leaving the implication that it is Labour's fault.

"Time for a change" & such piffle?

We need to big up our excellent record,. Even with no money this is an area where we can fight very effectively because the animal lovers chatter, all we need do is publish the facts.

Kid Eternity said...

You don't trust John Precott? :P

Just kidding, couldn't resist!