Saturday 7 February 2009

Are they by any chance related?

Someone yet again today mistook Paul Smith, Labour's candidate for Bristol West, for Stephen Williams, the current MP. 'Stephen' (aka Paul) and I were shepherded towards a TV camera at the Gaza rally with the words 'the two MPs, Kerry McCarthy and Stephen Williams' are here. (And no, Paul didn't do the interview.)

This happens a lot. Probably to Paul's disadvantage as when he's 'putting himself about' at community events while Stephen is stuck in Westminster there must be many people who are giving their MP credit for putting in a guest appearance.

9 comments:

Chris Hutt said...

But Paul has the authentic Bristol accent.

Unknown said...

hmmm

Kerry said...

Actually Chris, Paul went to Eton and the accent was perfected after many hours of voice coaching.

I should make clear perhaps that Paul's comment was not in response to Chris' comment - as they were both moderated at the same time. Unlike Chris and Paul, I am not insane enough to be up and on the PC at 6.59am or even 8.25am on a Sunday morning. I appreciate that this is a gross dereliction of my duties as an MP and I should probably resign forthwith.

Unknown said...

Don't resign yet!

I have noticed that we have different types of Male pattern balding (not you Kerry, Stephen). Mine is through the middle wheras his flanks some hair on top.

There nailed it

Unknown said...

"Paul went to Eton and the accent was perfected after many hours of voice coaching"

When I first joined the Labour Party and was out canvassing an outtimer Labour Party member told me that it was a shame I was going to university, because if I was staying in bristol she could teach me to talk properly and I might make something of my life.

Kerry said...

Paul likes to tell people he studied astrophysics at Newcastle. Truth is he studied Greats at Oxford, buddied up with Boris and Boy George, and has never been north of Watford Gap. Have a close look at those Bullingdon Club photos...

Unknown said...

I don't think I'll ask you to write my next leaflet

Kerry said...

In moments of stress Paul has been known to revert to type and utter words such as 'cripes!' 'crikey!' and 'golly gosh!' All eyes will be on him at the hustings.

Unknown said...

Gadzukes missie must you reveal all my secrets, Pater is getting very upset and may remove his funding from your campaign.