Thursday 28 August 2008

Being boring

Been rather busy over the last few days, hence the lack of blogging. Highlight of the week - and I have now learned to use that strictly in a non-ironic sense - was probably my visit to Speedwell Fire Station, where I got to dress up in a firefighter's outfit (they have firefighters my size these days!) and perch on an engine. There will be pictures... but not of the Bridget Jones sliding down a pole variety. I didn't do that.

Speedwell is a community fire station, which means it has facilities open to the public, e.g. to use computers and get involved in the Union Learn project. I'm all in favour of making full use of public buildings. The fire station is next to the (rather wonderful) new Bristol Brunel Academy, which allows access to its learning and leisure facilities. In an area like Speedwell, which is sorely lacking in community buildings, this makes all the difference - and makes adults feel part of the school community too.

Definitely not the highlight of the week was the discussion we had to have in the office about the purchase of a replacement toilet seat, because the intern had sat on it and broken it (which probably scores quite high on the list of things you don't want to happen when you're on work experience). I am sure the likes of Sir Patrick, Sir Paul and Sir Peter (in fact, both Sir Peters) on the Tory benches don't end up doing such things, but for most of us, being an MP is like running a small business. So in between the official visits and meetings and surgeries and letters and emails and phone calls, you also end up having to deal with mundane things. And for the record, I got in at 9pm tonight, and the toilet seat conversation was very short.

Was going to carry on talking about why I got in at 9pm, but then I'd have to think of a new title, or "people" will say I'm calling local residents "boring"...

No comments: